Egg free baking – all sorts of cupcakes and more

Recently I have had many requests for recipes for egg free recipes, especially for cupcakes.  I approached it with trepidation thinking that the cakes would be really heavy and doughy in texture.  In actuality quite the opposite has proven to be the case.  In this blog there are recipes for vanilla, orange or lemon and chocolate cup cakes.  I’ve provided recipes for icings for them just in case they are needed.   There is also a recipe for a boston bun.

If you want to make a large cake instead of the cup cakes, simply pour the mixture into a 20cm round or square deep sided cake tin, that has been greased and lined with baking paper.  Cook at 160 degrees C for approximately 40 minutes until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Leave to stand in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

Egg-free Vanilla Cup Cakes

You could add sultanas or choc chips to this basic vanilla cup cake recipe.  You could also dice an apple finely and add to the mixture.  It is ideal for making butterfly cakes as well.

The cakes can remain un-iced or iced with vanilla icing (recipe to follow).  I often brush the tops of cup cakes with a little melted butter, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Makes 12 large cup cakes.

2 ½ cups self raising flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

¼ cup sugar

125g butter, melted

395g tin condensed milk

1 cup water

1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat oven to 170°C.  Line 12 x ½ cup capacity muffin tins with muffin papers.

Sift together the flour and bicarbonate of soda, then stir in the sugar.  Mix the condensed milk into the melted butter, then stir in the water, vinegar and vanilla until well combined.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture.  Whisk until smooth.

Vanilla Icing

(for pinki icing add a few drops of cichineal)

180g pure icing sugar

1½ teaspoons butter, softened

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Boiling water.

Sift the icing sugar, then add the butter and gradually enough boiling water to make spreading consistency.

Orange or Lemon Cup Cakes

Makes 12 large cup cakes

2 ½ cups self raising flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

¼ cup sugar

125g butter, melted

390g tin condensed milk

¾ cup water

¼ cup orange or lemon juice

Finely grated rind of one orange or lemon

1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Sift together the flour and bicarbonate of soda, then stir in the sugar.  Mix the condensed milk into the melted butter, then stir in the water, orange or lemon juice, rind, vinegar and vanilla until well combined.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture.  Whisk until smooth.

Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin paper lined tins.  Bake for 15 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Orange or Lemon Icing

180g pure icing sugar

Grated rind of half an orange (or lemon)

1 teaspoon butter

The juice of an orange (or lemon)

Sift the icing sugar and add softened butter.  Gradually add the orange juice until a spreadable consistency is reached.

Egg Free Chocolate Cup Cakes

Makes 10

375g stewed apple (not too wet) – warmed but not hot

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

125g butter, melted

250g self raising flour

2 tablespoons cocoa

200g sugar

2 teaspoons white vinegar

½ teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 170°C.  Line 10 x ½ cup capacity muffin tins with muffin papers.

Mix together the apple and bicarbonate of soda, then whisk in the rest of the ingredients until smooth.  Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 15 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Chocolate Icing

30g butter, softened

1 ½ cups icing sugar

1 ½ tablespoons cocoa

2 tablespoons boiling water, approximately

Mix the butter, icing sugar, cocoa and enough boiling water to make a smooth spreadable icing.

Boston Bun

1 cup smooth mashed potato

1 cup milk

1 cup sugar

1 cup mixed dried fruit (or a combination of sultanas and currants)

1½ teaspoons mixed spice

1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups self raising flour

2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Turn oven to 170°C.  Grease a deep sided 20cm cake tin and line base with baking paper, grease again.

Whisk the potato, milk and sugar together until smooth.  Fold in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a metal skewer when inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Allow to stand in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Icing:

2 cups icing sugar

30g butter, softened

2 tablespoons boiling water, approximately

A few drops cochineal, optional

¼ cup coconut, optional

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional

Sieve the icing sugar and mix in the butter and enough boiling water to make a smooth spreading consistency.   Add cochineal if desired. Spread over bun and sprinkle with coconut or omit cochineal and sprinkle the icing instead with cinnamon.

6 thoughts on “Egg free baking – all sorts of cupcakes and more

1. jo says:

Sorry Sally it is my first time commenting, so I hope I am in right place. I was wondering if you can give suggesttions on what spices or herbs to put in when bottling small small choko. I usually make lots of chutney & pickles but I would like to try this

• Sally Wise says:

Hi Jo. I would preserve chokoes by the method I use to pickle zucchini or cucumber slices. As you will see in the recipe below, the spices used are curry powder, chilli flakes, bay leaves and mustard seeds. You don’t want anything too strong as it will overpower the delicate flavour of the chokoes. The end result will be delciious bread and butter cucumber style slices, ideal for inclusion in salads or sandwiches or as part of a cheese platter. The pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool, dry dark place (refrigerate after opening).

Here is the recipe for Pickled Chokoes:

1.1 kg chokoes
      2 large onions, peeled
      2 red capsicums
      ½ cup salt
      3 ½ cups white or cider vinegar
      2 cups sugar
      1 teaspoon curry powder
      2 teaspoons mustard seeds
      1 bay leaf
      ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes

Peel the chokoes and then cut them into 8mm slices. Slice the onions and capsicums into 8mm slices also. Place in a large bowl with the salt and barely cover with water and stir to combine. Leave to stand for a few hours.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to the boil, stirring often.

Drain the vegetables well in a colander and add to the boiling vinegar mixture. Bring back to the boil, then remove from heat immediately.

Spoon into sterilised jars and seal immediately.

Regards

3 ½ cups white or cider vinegar
      2 cups sugar
      1 teaspoon curry powder
      2 teaspoons mustard seeds
      1 bay leaf
      ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes

Spoon into sterilised jars and seal immediately.

Regards
      Sally

3. Isobel Piper says:

Hi Sally, love your blogs and recipes. I to love to cook and preserve and would love to start a roadside stall at my small holding front gate. I’m a home cheese maker and also teach, have my own milking goats and am always baking and preserving. Can you tell me, do I need to have council approval for a stall?

Ps, looking forward to flying over in the coming months to get to one of your classes as I know I will learn so much from you

• Sally Wise says:

You would have to enquire of your local council – I have a registered commercial kitchen here which helps. Councils are usually pretty helpful, but regulations vary from one council to another. It’s the Environmental Health Officer you would need to speak with. Let me know how you go.

Look forward to meeting you.

Regards